Oriental Afternoon High Tea at Yumacha Braserrie, Nottingham

1 comment
Today I will be reviewing another recent afternoon tea experience of mine, this time from my very own home town of Nottingham, for those of you who have not heard of Nottingham think…Robin Hood, Maid Marian!

I have been far and wide for afternoon tea (well…. London & York!), yet I have never sampled the delights of afternoon tea in one of my local cafes/ restaurants – until recently that is!

So a couple of weeks ago I was craving tea and cake (yet again!) and I managed to persuade my sister and brother-in-law who were visiting from London to treat themselves (and me) to a late afternoon slice of cake at Central Avenue in West Bridgford (our local hub for shops and restaurants). It was then that I discovered Yumacha for the first time…

Yumacha is a gorgeous newly opened bar/ restaurant in West Bridgford with an oriental theme to it. As soon as I walked in I was blown away by the décor, as you will see from the pictures below it really is a beautiful little place – very quirky and sophisticated. I particularly love the mismatched sofas – they looked so comfortable and add to the peaceful and relaxing vibe of the restaurant.



In the centre of each table there was this adorable flower pot  – I warn you now do not pick it up to admire it…it has a lot of water in it, which could spill all over you!! You should learn from my mistakes! - No dining experience is complete without me embarrassing myself at least once!!



On the walls there were historical photographs of how Central Avenue was in 1965, which I thought was a lovely touch!

Ok, so enough of my ramblings about the appearance of the restaurant –after a quick perusal of the menu, I discovered to my absolute delight that Yumacha serve an oriental themed afternoon tea and priced at only £10.50!!, which seems like an absolute bargain compared to the £44 I forked out for my last afternoon tea in London! So it was decided – 3 oriental afternoon teas it was J

The waiter appeared momentarily confused and a little perplexed when we asked for the afternoon tea. As Yumacha is a fairly new restaurant I’m guessing we might have been the first customers to opt for the afternoon tea! Perhaps this post will inspire a few more people to follow in our footsteps!

The waiter quickly overcame his surprise and began laying the table with the cutest mismatched cups and saucers and teapots, filled with yummy loose leaf herbal tea - ready for our afternoon tea.





While we were admiring the mismatched cups and saucers the waiter brought out our fruit scones, now as I mentioned in my previous post the scones are my favourite part of any afternoon tea and again I wasn't disappointed! I am not usually that keen on fruit scones as I feel it makes the scone really sweet, but these were delicious so I happily dolloped the cream/jam on and went forward with my usual Devonshire cream tea.


After enjoying the cream tea we moved on to the next stage…the sandwiches! There was only one sandwich type, your standard cucumber sandwich – (a little disappointing)! The oriental inspired dishes were a prawn cracker, which was surprisingly lovely - I even gobbled up my sisters when she wasn't looking! There was a duck spring roll, but thankfully also a vegetarian spring roll option, which was incidentally one of the yummiest spring rolls I have tasted!

Unfortunately, when it came to the sweet treats (my forte) I wasn't entirely impressed with the line-up. However, this really is about personal preference, I personally have an extreme dislike of banana and one of the cakes happened to be a banana and toffee loaf cake, which I didn’t go near!  

Chocolate on the other hand is one of my weaknesses and when I saw an extremely chocolaty truffle sitting on the stand I was in heaven! Before I grabbed it from the tray and gobbled it up the waitress recommended to have at the end as it was very sweet! That was certainly the case! It takes a while to eat as it is very messy and very rich. While the three of us have overactive sweet tooth’s, on this occasion we were unable to devour all the cakes and pastries, as it was a bit of a sweetness overload even for us!

In keeping with the oriental theme we were also served a fortune cookie alongside our tea! Let’s hope my fortune cookie prediction comes true….


You sort of get what you pay for in my opinion, while the whole atmosphere was brilliant, the service and décor were just as good as what you would expect from afternoon tea at a top hotel, the part I was most looking forward to…the cakes (obviously) was a slight let down as I feel it was overly sweet and the options didn't really appeal to my taste buds. Overall, the experience was pleasant and enjoyable. I loved the unique oriental twist to the usual traditional English tea so I would definitely encourage others to check it out. 

If you don’t live in Nottingham and you don’t have the good fortune to be a short journey away from Yumacha then it’s worth checking out your local cafes/restaurants as you never know they might have a quirky afternoon tea option on offer, which is just waiting for you! The perfect thing about finding a cafe/restaurant near you that offers afternoon tea is that you don’t usually have to book ages in advance, you can simply pop over whenever you fancy a special treat!

Hope you liked today's post!

See you next time for more of my ramblings! 
xx
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig