8 random facts about tea...

2 comments
In today’s post I thought I would give my belly a rest from the indulgence of afternoon tea and share some random and (mostly useless) facts about the world’s most popular drink and my favourite pastime – tea drinking…

Now in my opinion there is nothing better than sitting down with a steaming cup of tea (even better if it’s accompanied by a slice of cake!) and I am clearly not the only one…

Fact One: We Brits seriously love a good old cuppa! It is estimated that in the UK we get through around 130,000 tonnes of tea a year!

And this love of tea is definitely not a new indulgence…

Fact Two: Tea has been a favourite beverage in Britain since the 18th century (blimey)

I am a firm believer that there is nothing more therapeutic than a cup of tea and a good girly gossip, but tea can actually do a lot more than make you feel better after a long week…..

If you stay up late studying or (like me) watching netflix’s when you’re meant to be studying, you have probably at some point experienced those unsightly bags - carrier bags as I like to call them, under your eyes (sigh) -

Fact Three: Placing a cold tea bag on the eyelids can help to refresh tired eyes. Caffeine helps reduce puffiness by shrinking the blood vessels around your eyes. Not sure if this will work on my colossal bags but I might just give it a go at some point!

Fact Four: Cold tea bags can also help to take the sting out of sunburn.

Fact Five: Forget about an apple a day to keep the dentist away…who would have thought a cup of tea would! Tea can protect your teeth from tooth decay and gum disease , as it is a natural source of fluoride!

And finally here are couple of other random nuggets of information that I’ve learnt about tea recently:

Fact Six: *please place the item into the bag* 96% of all cups of tea drunk in the UK are brewed from tea bags!

Fact Seven: Tea bags know days come in all shapes; round, square and pyramid! If you just thought the different shapes of tea bags were to make it look pretty (like I did) then you will be surprised to hear that the shape of the tea bag is actually very significant. Pyramid shaped tea bags allow the tea to move more freely, therefore releasing much more taste than round tea bags!

Fact Eight: There are estimated to be about 1,500 different varieties of tea – how many have you tried??

I hope you enjoyed these little facts!  Let me know if you come across any other weird and wonderful facts about tea ;)

See you next time for more of my ramblings! 
xx

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments

  1. I love tea. My sister is a dental hygienist. She does say that now that drinking tea is kind of a fad in the United States that she has noticed more teeth staining. Which it comes off easily at the cleanings, but she mentioned it does stain worse then coffee or red wine. But there are so many benefits so keep on drinking the tea, I know I will
    xx, Jodi
    http://highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - I remember reading that green tea and black tea are really good for preventing tooth decay, but black tea can stain your teeth more than coffee! Wont stop me from drinking tea either! But good to know :-) xx

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig